Center directors should monitor center activity monthly to make sure the Accounting Guidelines above are being followed.
The Division of Financial Analysis will monitor SSFs to verify that capital assets are not being purchased from the operations account. The Plant Fund Reserve will be examined periodically to make sure only capital assets are being purchased in this account and to verify fund balances are not negative.
- University wide recharge centers – will be reviewed annually by the organization under which the operations reside.
- Departmental recharge centers – will be reviewed annually by the department. The completion of a compliance questionnaire will be required for recharge centers with >$20,000 annual revenue. Nothing is required for centers with <$20,000 annual revenue.
- Specialized Service Facilities – SSFs will be reviewed by the Division of Financial Analysis as follows:
- Tier I – SSFs with substantial Federal revenue (approximately $100,000) will be reviewed annually.
- Tier II – SSFs with over $10,000 Federal revenue will be reviewed annually.
- Tier III – SSFs with less than $10,000 Federal revenue will not be reviewed by the Division of Financial Analysis; however, the completion of a compliance questionnaire by the SSF director will be required.
With the assistance of the SSF directors, the Division of Financial Analysis will verify SSFs are adhering to the Accounting Guidelines above for the fiscal year that was just completed. In addition, rate calculations for the upcoming year will be examined for compliance with guidelines. The Division of Financial Analysis will provide written notification to the center that the review is complete.